We are currently hiring a senior Scientist to run our Materials Laboratory. This is a high technology position and laboratory where you will be focused on the measurement of the electrical and magnetic properties of radar absorbing materials used in the defense industry. If you are looking for an exciting challenge and direct interaction with team members as well as with customers, vendors and sponsors, then this is the job for you. You will directly contribute to the advancement of one of the premier measurement facilities in the country.
- 7-9 years: Experience as a Sr. Engineer/Scientist.
- 5 years: Electromagnetic material characterization measurements. Radar Absorbing Materials (RAM).
- 5 years: High precision electromagnetic measurements.
Bachelor degree (advanced degree preferred) plus 10-12+ years of related professional experience. Prefer a Masters with 7-9 years of experience or a PhD with 5-7 years of industry experience
- Construct and maintain a schedule of measurements and organize laboratory staff to perform accurate measurements, on time, and in the proper format.
- Interpret measured data and certify its veracity.
- Communicate with laboratory customers and government sponsors.
- Debug technical problems as needed including troubles with electronic measurement equipment, antennas, waveguides, resonant cavities, lenses, couplers, adapters, cabling, etc.
- Assist with laboratory measurements, especially those that are unusual or uncommon, or when other laboratory staff are unavailable.
- Revise or design new measurement systems as needed.
- Supervise and participate in the writing of reports, including monthly progress reports, customer measurement reports, and contract reports.
- Supervise and participate in presentations regarding measurements for customers, the capabilities of the laboratory, and other topics.
- Participate and lead research in electromagnetic material measurements related to the laboratory; present this research at an early meeting and potentially at other venues.
- Participate in the financial management of the laboratory.
- Oversee the upkeep of the laboratory, inventory, and ensure compliance with PMEL.
- Write proposals both individually and with a team, as needed.
- Assist with the organization of a yearly meeting of industry, government, and academic electromagnetic materials measurement experts.
- Market the laboratory’s capabilities to customers.
Requirements of our Senior Scientist / Lab Lead:
- Familiarity and past experience with RF materials (Magnetic Radar Absorbing Material (MagRAM), Resistive Cards (R-card), Absorbers, etc.)
- Experience leading a team of professional engineers and/or scientists.
- High level of technical competency in high precision electromagnetic measurements; preferably involving material parameter extraction methods.
- Must be detailed oriented, very organized, and a solid team player.
- Must have a solid grasp of the fundamentals of classical electromagnetics.
- Proficiency with MATLAB.
Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Secret or Top Secret security clearance.
Our work culture is challenging, innovative and rewarding, as employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan. If you are a Team Player who works well as a member of a group, is considered a leader on the subject of Radar Materials Characterization, is detail oriented and a self-starter, then please apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities