The selected candidate could expect mechanical engineering activities to include concept development, machine design, structural analysis, documentation, and test and system verification to ensure predictable and safe operation of precision positioning solutions for use in state-of-the-art Radome, Antenna and Radar Cross Section (RCS) measurement systems, as well as other specialized applications.
This Senior Mechanical design engineer should demonstrate leadership abilities in mechanical engineering efforts required to complete large multi-million-dollar project within multi-disciplinary team. In this role, the person will utilize their experience or expertise to solve problems, develop and execute objectives for self and others, and have the ability to effect short-term and long-term business goals.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering is required, though a Masters degree is preferred
- 10+ years of work experience in machine design in an industrial/manufacturing environment
- This position requires a minimal amount of travel, approximately 10%-20% domestic and internationally.
- You Must have the ability to obtain or have a U.S. Government security clearance.
This individual is responsible for ensuring quality, on-time delivery, priority setting, and adherence to company and industry standards. This person will participate or lead the team in a dynamic environment focusing on the design and development of standard and specialty antenna measurement systems comprising of servo or stepper motors, gearboxes, high accuracy encoders, bearings, castings, weldments, forgings, sheet metal, composite structures, milled and turned parts utilized in precision positioning applications and antenna environments. This individual will also be responsible for taking ownership of family of standard electro-mechanical product. This person is expected to have a high level of experience directly related to their job function, and, as such, is given assignments which utilize that tested knowledge gained through experience. This person is expected to be a seasoned engineer and be fully self-directed in the completion their day-to-day tasks.
- Ability to lead large multi-million-dollar projects. Tasks to include detailed proposal, initial project planning, compliance matrix, BOM structure, technical risk assessment, design reviews, detail analysis, detail design, factory integration and onsite installation.
- A minimum of ten years of machine & structural design experience
- Demonstrate understanding of product costing and cost management skills
- Computer Aided Design and Finite Element Analysis proficiency / SolidWorks / SolidWorks Simulation (Cosmos) experience preferred
- Effective team building ability
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Must be open to constructive criticism and willing to offer help to others when needed
- Must be able to offer independent technical opinion on regular basis
- Strong technical background and experience in mechanical powertrain design and analysis (bearings, gearbox, gear and motor)
- Strong technical background and experience in large structural weldment design and analysis
- Technical background and experience in alignment and inspection techniques (FARO laser tracker, FARO Arm, Laser Radar and other Metrology equipment)
- Good understanding and design experience in large precision multi-axis positioning equipment
- Believes in the continuous improvement philosophy.
- The selected applicant should be a fast-thinking problem solver and should thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Provide leadership and technical direction for assigned program tasks
- Coach, mentor and develop staff members of the department
- Ability to take mechanical project lead with minimum supervision for custom project.
- Provide engineering recommendations to management to guide standard or custom system development decisions
- Support technical proposals by providing unique engineered solutions, technical writing and basis of cost estimate to applications and sales team.
- Lead and oversee quality engineering design and execution to cost and schedule
- Focus on improvements in standard product quality, cost reduction, and reduction in time to markets
- Provide sustaining engineering support to manufacturing and customer service
- Attends internal design reviews conducted by other design engineers in order to critique and recommend design solutions on various design projects
- Regularly interact with customers during onsite visit, design reviews, factory integration and onsite installation.
- Maintain broad awareness of efforts to assure technical quality excellence, timely completion of work and reviews and responsiveness to customer / program needs
- Facilitate communication of technical and business information between organizations and within work group
- Drive the development and application of consistent design practices, standards and software tools
- Communicate with management on technical, organizational, resource issues
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer