We are now hiring a Mechanical Engineer with recent experience designing packaging for electrical and electro-mechanical equipment with respect to thermal, vibration, manufacturability, servicing, reliability, modularity and interconnection. The candidate should be familiar with industry best practices in these areas. This person will work closely with electrical design engineers, manufacturing and purchasing to develop the design, select the parts and ensure a reliable, affordable, producible packaged product.
Any experience with design and selection of machine elements used in precision drive mechanisms including bearings, gearboxes, encoders, and servomotors is very desirable.
The electronics being packaged may be implemented in standard rack mounted boxes or custom mounted to mechanical positioning machines. The electronics here include analog and digital circuits including power supplies, high speed digital, FPGA, CPU and I/O.
Typical mechanical engineering activities include concept development, design, analysis, documentation, testing and system verification to ensure predictable and safe operation.
** When not performing electronic packaging design, the candidate will support the design of mechanical positioning equipment.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering coupled with 7 years of experience in electronic design for harsh environments (including vibration during shipping) is preferred
- The candidate should have working knowledge of configuration management, PDM and assembly drawing/BOM generation per industry standards. Knowledge of welding specifications per AWS or ASME is valuable. Fundamental understanding of design for maximum stiffness or strength while keeping overall cost low as possible is valuable.
- This position may require occasional domestic and international travel.
- Must have the ability to obtain or have a U.S. Government security clearance
- Thermal management, airflow using fans, heat sinks, HVAC, etc. 3D Computer Aided Design of complex mechanical systems SolidWorks Preferred
- Proficiency in 3D CAD software (SolidWorks)
- Generate detailed drawings per ANSI Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- Demonstrate proven track record of creative design implementation to reduce cost, simplify assembly process and enhance product reliability
- Routing of wires and cables
- Sheet metal design
- Front Panel labeling
- Experience taking ownership of maintaining product/system documentation which includes sustaining engineering BOM/ECN management using MRP/ERP systems
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Strong aptitude for problem solving with good organizational skills
- Regular communication and presentation at all levels within the organization
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Technical Writing – Manual, test procedures, work instructions, etc.
- Design of machine elements (Bearing, Fastener, Gearbox, Motor, Gears, etc.)
- Understanding of classical static and strength of materials
- Track record of complex product and system development
- Weldment design and drawing per AWS D1.1, D1.2 or similar standards
- Hands on experience using dial indicators, calipers, and other metrology/inspection equipment
- Electronics involving RF microstrip designs